Becoming a senior citizen is often accompanied by benefits such as retirement payments and federal aid from the government in the form of Social Security. Senior citizens may also be protected by age discrimination laws and covered by programs like Medicare, which provides basic health care. Additionally, senior citizenship also opens a door to the world of dining and entertainment discounts.
With such a multitude of attractions in Orlando, there is something for every Central Florida senior to enjoy at a discounted price.
Who Qualifies as a Senior?
Senior citizens are often classified under law as those age 60 or older — the age when most people retire from the workforce. However, with the growing number of people retiring earlier in their careers, retirees can now begin getting senior citizen discounts at ages as young as 55 or 50.
Senior Discounts in Florida
Membership programs, like AARP, grant seniors a variety of discounts on activities and dining at movie theaters, restaurants, select theme parks, and more. They also offer member benefits that allow seniors to travel comfortably, stay inexpensively, and eat healthy.
However, seniors don’t have to be members of select programs to earn a discount. In fact, most businesses and eateries nationwide show their appreciation of our older population by offering discounts on products and services to seniors — simply for reaching a certain age.
Here are some Central Florida located establishments — ranging from fast food and fine dining to entertainment venues — that offer fantastic money-saving deals to seniors throughout the year.
Fast Food Discounts
The following fast food dining locations offer generous senior discounts; however, it is always important to check with the restaurant before ordering to make sure they will apply the discount.
- Boston Market offers a 10% discount for those 65 and over.
- Burger King offers a 10% discount on beverages for seniors 60 and over.
- Chick-fil-a offers a 10% discount or a free small beverage for seniors 55 and over at participating locations.
- Chili’s offers a 10% discount for seniors 55 and over.
- Dairy Queen offers a 10% discount for seniors 60 and over at participating locations.
- Dunkin’ Donuts offers a 10% discount for AARP members.
- KFC offers a free small drink with a meal for seniors 55 and over.
- McDonald’s offers a discount on coffee for seniors 55 and over.
- Subway offers a 10% discount for those 60 and over.
- Taco Bell offers a 5% discount or a free beverage for seniors 65 and over.
- Waffle House offers a 10% discount for seniors 60 and over on certain days of the week.
- Wendy’s offers a 10% discount for seniors 55 and over.
- Zaxby’s offers a special senior discount at participating locations.
Dine-In Restaurant Discounts
A nice, peaceful dinner is a great opportunity to catch up with your senior family member or friend. The following list includes Central Florida dine-in restaurant options that honor senior discounts.
- 4Rivers Smokehouse offers online coupons for seniors.
- Bonefish Grill offers up to 15% off for AARP members.
- Cracker Barrel allows seniors 50 and over to order from the children’s menu, which offers discounted prices and smaller portions.
- Golden Corral offers a 10% discount for seniors 60 and over.
- Kobe Steakhouse offers early bird specials on select days and times.
- Longhorn Steakhouse allows seniors 50 and over to order from the children’s menu or from a customized senior menu.
- Olive Garden offers online coupons for seniors and various lunch and dinner specials.
- Red Lobster offers online coupons for seniors.
- Shogun Japanese Steakhouse offers early bird specials and a 10% discount for seniors.
While Orlando offers a variety of dining discounts, there are also many entertainment spots that offer quality discounts as well. Whether your senior loved one wants to go bowling or sit back and see a movie, Orlando offers many unique and exciting opportunities for seniors to get out and spend quality time with their loved ones at a reduced price.
- Bowling Alleys – Popular entertainment centers generally offer discounted rates for seniors. For example, seniors 55 and over can get discounts on shoe and sock rentals on Friday and Saturday nights and discounted bowling games on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at The Keg Social in Waterford Lakes.
- Movie Theaters – Additionally, cinemas like Regal and AMC offer great senior discounts. Regal and AMC both offer up to 30% off for seniors 60 and over.
Orlando is known as a hotspot for arts and culture, with plenty of museums, centers, galleries, and exhibits where seniors can learn about Orlando culture, view beautiful art installations, enjoy quality time with family and friends, and visit various attractions at less expensive prices.
- The Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art offers $5 discounted tickets to those age 60 and up.
The Mennello Museum of American Art offers senior discounts for seniors aged 60 and over.
- The Orlando Museum of Art sells $8 tickets to seniors 65 and over.
- The Orlando Science Center, a popular interactive science museum, has discounted tickets for $17.95 for those 55 and over.
- The Orange County Regional History Center has $7 senior tickets for those 55 and over.
- Titanic: the Artifact Exhibition sells tickets for $19.95 to seniors.
- The Wycliffe Discovery Center offers $7 tickets for those 65 and over.
Quality Care for Seniors in Central Florida
Senior dining and entertainment discounts are a great perk. Not only do they offer inexpensive ways for seniors to eat and experience life, but they also exemplify a culture of thoughtful care that is often not afforded to our senior citizens.
In fact, taking care of our beloved older generation and ensuring they enjoy a healthy well-being and prosperous lifestyle well into their Golden Years is one of the most noble and important acts of kindness. That’s why it’s important to connect with a community that understands exactly how to take care of aging loved ones when senior citizens can no longer live on their own.
With expert advice in memory care, cognitive-behavioral therapy, and physical therapy professionals, Encore at Avalon Park offers a comfortable and lively community with plenty of amenities and opportunities for seniors to thrive.
See for yourself why Encore at Avalon Park is the premier senior living solution in the Central Florida area. Call us today at 407-270-7500 to schedule a tour.